News Reporting Winter 2024


Hello! I'm Emily Jimerson and this is my first year majoring in Journalism at Linn-Benton Community College. This is also my first time taking News Reporting. Writing has been a passion of mine since I was around seven years old. I mostly enjoy creative fiction and poetry but I'm excited to learn more about the journalistic side of writing. Some of my other interests include reading, baking, soccer, video games, and music.


I chose to take News Reporting this term because I want to expand my skills and style of writing. I’m also trying to decide on what specific writing career I want to pursue in the future. When it comes to this class, I’m most interested in learning about how to write a “newsworthy” story that holds readers’ attention.



Three goals I have for winter term are to get some of my work published in The Commuter, improve my interviewing skills, and to get out of my comfort zone. I’ve been wanting to get involved with The Commuter for a while and I’m excited to have the opportunity to write for them and maybe take some photos too. In addition, despite the fact that I love interviewing people, I’m hoping to ask even better questions this term, work on listening well, and take concise notes. Lastly, I want to push myself out of my comfort zone by continuing to meet and work with new people and learn how to write in a style that I’m unfamiliar with.


I plan on writing my first news story on the Student Leadership Council at LBCC. My three possible sources are: Rachel Biscoe, the SLC'S current President, Vice President Travis Overvig, and Executive Assistant Duda Reolon. Another possible source is the program's advisor, Rob Camp.


6 of the most important questions I plan on answering through my story will be:


1. What is the SLC?

2. How can students get involved?

3. Where is the SLC office located and when do their meetings take place?

4. Why should students volunteer with the SLC?

5. What are some of the challenges that the SLC faces?

6. What will the upcoming election look like this month?


I'm excited to find out what winter term has in store for me and to see how I'll grow as a journalist this year. Stay tuned for my first news story, which should be out by next Sunday.







Comments

Popular Posts